Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Gaijin hair- Ash Hair Make experience

I'm a blonde. A blonde who likes to be blonder. And while I thought about dying my hair back to it natural golden hues for convenience while in Japan- something tells me my entertainment career will do a little better if I play the blonde card here.

So I decided to get my roots touched up before I had a demo session with a voiceover company. Which would be easy peasey back in the States.

I could get my hair done on the naval base.....but they couldnt get me an appt before my meeting aaand being a city girl I'm kind of weary of super-cuts esque salons

So I decided to get my hair done in the (2nd biggest) city, Yokohama at a salon I pass every day- ASH HAIR MAKE

I've seen some serious ads around town too so I felt good about stopping in.

Thank God for Google Translate App on my phone- it translated English to Japanese very well. I asked the lady in the front if they could "color my roots today?" she nodded and we attempted a consultation

.....Google Translate does not fair so well from Japanese to English

While it may be an exact literal translation- all meaning is lost on me!

Eventually with a lot of and gestures and laughter we all got through it.

The salon played pop music and I had 2 people work on my head at the same time! They gave me milk tea to sip while I waited for color.

In the back was a dimly lit room with classical music and a fish tank projection in the middle- this is where they wash your hair. They have the most comfortable washing stations ever! My neck didn't hurt at all AND they put a banket over my legs and a gauze cover on my face to keep the water from splashing me, the most relaxing hair washing ever!

The assistant communicated to me on Google Translate one word at a time while my hair was setting asking me "color. hurt head?" and "head itchy?" towards the end it got a little itchy but nothing I couldn't handle.

I mention this because in the middle of washing my hair he asks "itch anywhere?" so he would know if he missed a spot- I shook my head.

 He put the gauze back on my face and continued washing for a couple of seconds before he shouted:
"SHAMPOO! POWER!"

He sounded just like an anime and we laughed hysterically for about 5 minutes

The job got done, it def cost more than i was used to because I couldnt communicate properly exactly what needed to be done. But now I know what to ask about when I start my Japanese classes next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment